I spent most of my time this week finishing my research paper on hoophouses for season extension for my class on organic vegetable production. It was submitted today to finish up the class and with that I’ve completed all of the requirements for my Certificate in Sustainable Food and Farming!
Now that things are slowing down and I’ve only got two more shifts left at the farm, I’ll have more time! I’ve just started paging through this years seed catalogs and I’m starting A Week of Hard Labor tomorrow so I can play with my weights.
My first batch of sprouts for the season is done! I got pitas and salad fixings this week so I can eat plenty of them. My first experiment with microgreens should be ready to harvest by the time I finish up the sprouts.
At the farm, the winter carrots are now ready to harvest and are gorgeous! This is what I harvested for myself this morning after spending time weeding and thinning beets.
Back home, I rescued my forgotten dry beans from the fence line. The Cherokee Trail of Tears have a fun new pixalated version joining the rest of the plain black beans. I brought in 2 quarts of them, plus just shy of a quart of the Hidatsa Shield.
And I juuuuuust got started on my winter cross stitch project 🙂
It was unpleasantly rainy and just above freezing for my workershare shift. The 3 tunnels are setup and ready for winter, and I spent my time hoeing the newly sprouted spinach in one. Outside there were still a few crops toughing it out.
The snow started flying yesterday closing the book on another season. I took a week of inbetween jobs and really worked hard on relaxing 😀
And I started the new job yesterday! I’m on a team of 4 now instead of everything being all on me. And I don’t have to manage a team anymore. And I don’t have to do 3 OTHER peoples jobs anymore! I can feel the stress just melting off.
I’ve been quiet for a bit because I’ve had a lot going on. Most importantly, I found a new job! I submitted my resignation yesterday stating that the stress of the job was ruining my health and happiness and gave my last day as the 20th. I’ve got a week off then start at the new place on the 30th.
I just came back from a 3 day vacation to a water park so I’m nice and destressed and ready to handle the transition. We got in some mini-golf, a WI Ducks tour, and an escape room while we were there.
At the homestead, I’m busy dehydrating up a storm to get the last of the herbs and goji berries ready.
And I got new fitpacker containers for myself as my reward for losing 30 pounds! (Well, I’ve got some to re-lose after vacation :D). So I’m busy meal prepping up a storm over here. Here’s some homemade tuna noodle casserole and I’ll be whipping up a batch of burritos and rice tonight. This will be especially good at the new job, as they don’t have a cafeteria so there’ll be no backup if I forget to pack a lunch.
I got a bit of an earlier start on my shift at the farm to get home before it got too hot. It was such a lovely morning though. The sunrise was deep and glorious. Hot air balloons landed on either side of me as I drove down the freeway. And I got to the farm to find this blanket of leaves, brilliant in the early morning sun. I took some time to walk the fields enjoying the sights and sounds and changes since last week before I got started weeding and hoeing among the carrots.
I planted my goji berry 3 years ago, and it’s since spread to cover 24 feet along my privacy fence. The berries start ripening in August and and in about a month they are coming in fast enough that I can begin dehydrating batches for use in winter. They aren’t exactly my favorite berry, but I nibble on a few most days on my way into the house each evening and will be using them dehydrated in smoothies and yogurt, to flavor water, and in teas.
This week at the farm, I got to do some watering and hoeing. The first of the fall spinach was ready to harvest so it’ll be a salad week! And I took some time before I left to take photos for my Organic Vegetable Production class of some of the things we are learning about this week: companion planting and cover crops!
This year I wanted to try growing something fun. I chose a variety of Paprika Peppers from Baker Creek and started seeds for 3 plants to try it out. When they had all turned red I seeded them and put them in the dehydrator at 125 for 24 hours.
Once completely dried, I used a coffee grinder to powder them. I got just short of 2 ounces by volume. Ta-da! That’s all there is to making your own paprika powder. I think it’s super cool to be able to grow one more thing for the spice cabinet.